In celebration of World Chocolate day, the EHL Preparatory Year students impress us with more lactose-free and gluten-free chocolate delights of their making. These 'moelleux' lava cakes have just won the EHL summer bakery challenge and are currently being produced for sale at the prestigious M Bar.
- Guanaja 70% dark chocolate - 230g
- Butter - 110g
- Egg whites - 150g
- Caster sugar - 150g
- Egg yolks - 100g
- Salt - 1g
- Cocoa powder - 15g
- Melt the butter & chocolate at 65°C.
- Whip the egg whites with the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks, cocoa powder & salt to the melted butter & chocolate, mix well.
- Carefully add in the meringue mixture. Mix delicately.
- Pipe 80g of the mixture into 10 separate molds.
- Bake at 180°C for 4 minutes, then rotate and continue baking for 2 more minutes.
- Optional: add some caramelized sugar powder on top once baked.
Stick very carefully to the cooking times in order to ensure warm and runny chocolate on the inside. These lava cakes go very well with ice cream or a sorbet.
Julien Boutonnet has been working at EHL as Senior Lecturer in Practical Arts since 2015, specializing in pastry and dessert courses.